Footwear Tips & Advice
It is really important to wear good fitting shoes to ensure that you don’t damage your feet. Shoes play a major role in protecting your feet and preventing damage, so that you can walk comfortably.
What is the ideal shoe?
There is not one shoe that is perfect for everybody. Peoples feet come in many different shapes and sizes, and they are put under different stresses. When purchasing new shoes you should make sure that they:
- Fit correctly
- Are supportive
- Don’t hurt your feet
What problems can bad footwear cause?
- Corns – Badly fitted shoes can cause corns to form. This is due to the pressure & friction.
- Ingrown & Thickened Toenails – Shoes that are too tight on the toes can cause the toenails to thicken. It can also lead to ingrown toenails.
- Blisters – Shoes that are too loose can cause blisters on both the toes and heels. This is due to the friction of the shoe moving up and down. Slip on shoes commonly cause blisters.
- Overlapping Toes – Shoes that are too tight can lead to toe deformity.
- Bunions – Tight shoes can cause bunions to form.
Tips for picking good footwear
- Correct Shoe Size – Before choosing a new pair of shoes you should have your feet measured for both their length and width. The shoe should give enough room for your toes and allow you to wiggle them. Your toes should not touch the end of the shoes as it can cause damage to both your nails and toes.
- Comfort – The shoe should be comfortable when you try it on. Choose a shoe with material that is soft, that mould to the shape of your foot. You should not have to break shoes in as this can cause damage to your feet. They should be comfortable immediately.
- Socks – All shoes should be work with socks or tights to prevent blisters
Footwear advice Wirral
If you are based on the Wirral and are looking for footwear advice then why not book a podiatry appointment. David Dodd provides podiatry services across Wirral and the surrounding areas. You can book an appointment by calling 07956364131 or by emailing email@example.com.