Fungal Nail Treatment In Wirral
What are fungal nails?
A fungal infection of the toenails is a common disease of the toenails. Many people develop the infection at some point during their lives. It is not usually serious but it can be unpleasant and sometimes difficult to treat. The infection is most commonly found in people over 55 and especially those who use shower facilities at places such as swimming baths and athletic centres. If you have athletes foot, and do not treat it, this can lead to a fungal infection of the toenails.
Symptoms of fungal nails
The symptoms of a fungal nail are as follows:
- Discolouration – Toenails may turn white, yellow, black or even green.
- Thickening– The nail may become an unusual shape and become difficult to cut
- Odour – In some cases the nails may give off an unpleasant smell
- Brittle – The toenail may become easy to break
Causes of fungal nails
Some of the causes of fungal toenails are as follows:
- Athletes foot spreading to the toenails
- Not keeping your feet clean or dry
- Wearing sweaty socks or shoes
- Using communal showers
- Damaged nails
- Weak immune system
How to prevent fungal nails
You can lower the risk of catching a fungal infection of the toenails by:
- Keeping your feet dry
- Treating athletes foot when you develop it
- Replace old shoes that may be contaminated
- Not sharing towels and washing them on a regular basis
- Not sharing nail clippers
- Keeping nails shorts
- Wear clean socks
What to do if you have fungal nails
If your toenails have a fungal infection you should seek advice from a podiatrist. Fungal infections can spread to other people so you should take steps to get rid of the infection if you have it.
Fungal nail treatment
If you have fungal nails I recommend booking a podiatry appointment for an assessment. I will then be able to offer advice for the most suitable and beneficial treatments for you. Anti-fungal tablets, anti-fungal nail paints and nail softening kits are some of the most popular treatments for fungal nails.
If you are suffering from fungal toenails and would like to book an appointment then please call me on 0795 6364 131 or 0151 384 1024. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.